Sunday, September 28, 2008

Art Colony

Some of the Colony Members painting at the Upper Pavilion







Well once again Mississippi Art Colony has come and gone. We had a great time and as usual I learned and gleaned ideas and thoughts from all of the other attending artists. I just love the immersion into art that happens when you go to an islolated place with other artists. There are some pretty stimulating conversations and the work that evolves is so provocative.
I was voted in as a full member this time and I was thrilled about that. It is a great group of artists and I am proud to be in the number. I also got two pieces accepted for the travel show,(Isaac's Ram and Secrets), and that was just icing on the cake for me, especially since one was a drawing that I had done that was so close to my heart at this time in my life. The drawing has been in my head for a number of years, it is the ram in the Bible passage Genesis: 22. Abraham is told to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice to God and at the last moment the Lord sends him a ram with his horns caught in a thicket as a substitute for Isaac. This is such a powerful story of faith and the belief that God will never leave your side if you have faith in Him and it has a special meaning in my heart at this particular time in my life for many reasons. I think when you feel a strong connection with your work it resonates in your life as you paint or draw the art, and then it will retain that power when it is viewed by others. The journey of life is one that compells us to reach out to others and find ourselves in them and them in us. My art is my way of accomplishing this task on a visual level. I hope, my piece, "Isaac's Ram", will serve to touch and encourage others while it is traveling in the Mississippi Art Colony Travel Show. You can view the show online http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=7507232291477332174&postID=8381684110844753964.
As always have a great week !
All text and contents of this blog are copyrighted by Cathy Hegman and are meant solely for the purpose of sharing her thoughts and ideas on art and the making of art.

No comments: